- Sweden has almost 2,000 miles of coastline meaning fresh fish is available across the country, including pickled herring which is widely eaten.
Friday Food Facts
- Wales: Residents in Bala hold the world record for the largest Welsh cake.
• The Carolina Reaper is the hottest chilli in the world; a man died after eating one in a chilli-eating contest in New York State in 2018.
* The heatproof sleeve on the outside of a disposable coffee cup is called a ‘zarf ’.
* The drug valium, used for its calming effect, is present in potatoes.
* Concrete is stronger if carrots are added to it.
* A glass of calvados (apple brandy) contains seven apples.
* During a 2007 costume-themed pub crawl, ‘all Captain Americas were asked to go outside for a possible identification’ after one Captain America with a burrito stuffed down his tights assaulted tw
* Snackwells – Just two Devils Food cookie cakes from the Nabisco ‘low-fat’ and ‘zero cholesterol’ brand provided nearly a third of your daily sugar allowance
• Frederick the Great of Prussia, who died in 1786 at the age of 74, reputedly drank coffee mixed with Champagne and mustard.
• Samuel Born was given the key to the city of San Francisco in 1916 for inventing the machine that inserts sticks into ice lollies.
• Pope Benedict XVI drank more than five times his own bodyweight in Fanta every year
• Milk from the elephant seal is twice as thick as whipping cream