16th Dec 2022 - 06:00
Fun Friday Food Facts are returning this week as we look at Christmas related food facts!
- Co-op mince pies have retained their crown in 2022 in the UK as the best value shop-bought ones at 16p each. This, though, is double the price they were in 2021.
- On average people in the UK gain around 7lbs during Christmas time.
- Swedish Christmas lunch is a smorgasbord of ham, herring and dishes such as gubbröra, an egg and anchovy mixture, and vörtbröd, wort-flavoured rye bread.
- In 2020 a YouGov survey found 54% of Brits still preferred turkey as the centrepiece for their Christmas dinner.
- During a Medieval Christmas peacock was the favoured bird of choice for Christmas dinner.
- In Ukraine Christmas dinner consists of 12 dishes symbolising the apostles. The main dish is kutia, a mix of boiled grains, honey, nuts, poppy seeds, dried fruits, and other toppings.
- Wassail is hot mulled cider, ale, or wine, drunk as part of wassailing, an English Yuletide tradition in which groups of poor people and children went singing door-to-door.