19th May 2023 - 06:00
To celebrate Public Sector Catering’s Plant-based Week (15-19 May) we have found our favourite food facts to share with you this morning.
- More than 700,000 people from 228 countries and territories signed up to take part in Veganuary 2023, breaking all previous records.
- In 2019 there were an estimated 600,000 vegans in the UK, which was more than a 400% increase compared to 2014 according to The Vegan Society.
- In the United States plant-based meat sales grew by 45% in 2020, reaching a value of $1.4Bn.
- According to the Good Food Institute (GFI) plant-based chicken emits 86% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than its conventional counterpart, the same is found with pork (92%) and beef (99%).
- National Food Strategy Report suggested that people should be eating 30% less meat by 2030.
- Over a quarter of global greenhouse gas emissions come from food, with half of all farmed animal emissions coming from beef and lamb.