25th Mar 2022 - 06:00
As we look ahead to the Oscars on Sunday 27 February, we have found our favourite food facts in film.
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was temporarily banned in India because of the infamous ‘Dinner of Doom’ scene. The grand banquet included a snake sliced open to reveal hundreds of smaller snakes, a giant stag beetle, eyeball soup and chilled monkey brains.
- Actors eat real food in the scenes, but as multiple takes are often required they're not swallowing every bite, instead spitting the food into a bucket between takes.
- In the film Kung Fu Panda, Mr. Ping (Po’s father), who runs a successful noodle shop, reveals the secret ingredient to his soup is….. nothing!
- In the film Thor they spent nearly £400 on doughnuts for a Donut Land shop on the set, but no-one went into it so the food was never seen.
- Paul Newman famously ‘ate’ 50 boiled eggs in the film Cool Hand Luke, but when a man in India attempted to recreate the feat in 2019 he died on the 42nd egg.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known for their obsession with pizza and Kevin’s favourite type of pizza in the film Home Alone is cheese.