29th Apr 2022 - 06:00
To celebrate Stop Food Waste Day (27 April) we have found some facts to highlight the importance of the tackling this issue.
- Potatoes are the most wasted food in the UK, with 1.6 billion thrown away every year.
- Annual per capita waste by consumers is between 95-115kgs a year for Europeans and North Americans, while in South Asia it is 6-11kgs.
- Nearly one billion hungry people around the world could be fed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the United States, UK and Europe.
- If food waste was a country it would be the third largest producer of carbon dioxide in the world after the United States and China.
- The UK throws away around 9.5 million tonnes of food waste in a single year – even though around 8.4 million people in the UK are in food poverty.