6th May 2022 - 06:00
On this edition of Fun Friday Food Facts we explore more about South American food!
- Argentina is only one of five countries in the world that has more cows than people, which are used to make the famous steaks.
- The guinea pig is a delicacy in Bolivia. It is usually served whole, with the legs and head pointing up.
- Feijoada is the national dish of Brazil which is a stew of beans with beef and pork.
- With over 100 wineries in the country, Chile is now the 5th largest exporter of wine in the world.
- According to research in 2016 22.6% of adults in Colombia were considered to be obese, which is lower than the UK (27.8%).
- Chocolate has been consumed in Ecuador for over 5,000 years! Despite this, Ecuadorian people eat only 300-800 grams of the stuff on average per year, whereas countries like Germany consume 9 kg per person every year.
- The main two exports in Guyana are sugar and rum.
- Paraguay are ranked as the sixth biggest exporter of soy.
- Of the nearly 5,000 potato varieties found worldwide, over 3,500 varieties are grown in Peru.
- Chicken with rice is the national dish of Suriname.
- According to research Uruguay has the highest beef consumption per capita than anywhere else in the world.
- In 2020, a UN survey found a third of Venezuelans found 9.3 million people were not getting enough to eat due to hyperinflation.