14th Jan 2022 - 06:00
To celebrate Veganuary, the global pledge to go vegan for 31 days, we have found our favourite vegan facts.
- The term vegan was first used in November 1944 when a British woodworker named Donald Watson, a vegetarian who did not eat eggs or dairy, coined it to describe himself.
- Up to 1% of the word population follows a plant-based diet – about 70m people.
- It is estimated that three in every four people following a vegan lifestyle is female.
- Grain that is used to feed livestock for meat production could feed 1.3 billion people.
- Vegan celebrities include Benedict Cumberbatch, Zac Efron and Natalie Portman.
- It is estimated the vegan food market will be worth US$24.3bn (£18bn) by 2026.