24th Jun 2022 - 08:31
It is currently National Picnic Week (18-26 June) so for this edition of Fun Friday Food Facts we have some picnic related facts for you to enjoy this Friday morning.
- The French aristocracy first enjoyed picnics and then exported the idea when they fled abroad during the French Revolution in the late 18th century.
- 71% of people in the UK say they include packets of crisps in their picnic.
- A 600-mile-long picnic was arranged in France to celebrate the first Bastille Day (14 July 2000) of the new millennium.
- Sushi, crudites and dips are modern additions to the picnic hamper but 41% of Brits say they prefer traditional cold meats and scotch eggs.
- Jane Austen is believed to be the first British writer to mention a picnic, in her novel Emma written in 1815.
- Sandwiches are a popular picnic item in the UK, where collectively the population consumes around 11.5 billion sandwiches annually.