26th Aug 2022 - 06:00
To celebrate the launch of the Heinz Battle of the Burger competition, this week the Fun Friday Food Facts will be centered around burgers!
- Hamburgers were called ‘Liberty Sandwiches' during the First World War due to antipathy towards Germany.
- If all the hamburgers that are eaten by Americans in a calendar year are lined up one by one it would go around the world over 30 times.
- In 2019 former Formula One World champion Lewis Hamilton launched a plant-based burger chain called Neat Burger.
- Sonya Thomas holds the world record of eating a Big Daddy Cheeseburger weighing 4kg in just 27 minutes.
- Around 71% of the beef sold in American restaurants are in burgers.
- The Twisted Root Burger Co in Texas sells burgers with meats including beaver, llama and kangaroo.