8th Oct 2021 - 06:00
To celebrate National Curry Week (4-10 October) we have found our favourite curry related facts.
- The word curry comes from a Tamil word kari or karil, meaning spices or sautéed vegetables.
- On average Brits will spend around £30,000 on curry during their lifetime.
- The largest curry ever made weighed 15.34 tonnes and was achieved by the Indian Chefs and Culinary Association (Singapore) on 1 August 2015.
- The first curry recipe in English appeared in Hannah Glasse’s The Art Of Cookery in 1747.
- There are more than 40,000 varieties of rice that you can select to go with your curry.
- Vindaloo is a song by British band Fat Les and it was released prior to the 1998 football World Cup in France.