The HCA Awards recognise the commitment and contribution of the association’s members. After a two-year delay, the theme for this year’s forum is ‘Embrace the Future’ and will give the delegates their first chance of being together to discuss the Hospital Food Review and how the effect of the pandemic has impacted on healthcare catering.
Other main topics of the forum include food waste and the environment and how a healthy planet leads to a healthy population. Tanya and Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, parents of Natasha will be updating the delegates on the work of the Natasha Allergy Research Foundation (NARF) that was established after Natasha’s death.
Alongside its established awards consisting of caterer of the year, catering team of the year, efficiency and improvement award, the Wilma Wilke outstanding service award and Chairman’s award the association have introduced a new ‘Rising Star’ award that is designed to encourage the younger members to aspire to greater things and to make healthcare catering their career of choice.
Brian Robb, chair of the HCA, commented: “Every year the HCA’s annual awards give us the opportunity to praise the hard work and commitment from our members. It also gives us a chance to show our appreciation for all members of the association, but this year, because of the two-year gap, it will be a special opportunity to recognise those ‘frontline’ members who have been doing such a sterling job through the hardest times we have encountered in our generation.”
HCA Awards 2022 finalists include the following:
- Frank Fiore, catering manager, Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Tim Radcliffe, facilities manager, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Joe Gilbey, retail lead, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Robert Wright and the catering team, Causeway Hospital, Northern Health and Social Care Trust, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
- Helen Butcher and the Sodexo & Derbyshire Support & Facilities Services Limited
- Stewart Nimo and the catering team from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital King’s Lynn NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Mabel Blades, Oxford Branch
- Stewart McKenzie, West of Scotland Branch
- Deborah McNeil, Northern Ireland Branch
- Carol Delves, Merseyside & North Wales Branch
- Allan Gimson, Trent Branch
- Emma Cartmill, assistant catering manager, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
- Shane O’Neill, assistant patient experience manager, Lagan Valley Hospital, South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust, Lisburn, Northern Ireland
- Margaret Valenti, business support manager, NHS Great Glasgow & Clyde
There will be no shortlist for the chairman’s choice and trade stand awards. All winners will be announced at the President's Gala and awards dinner on Wednesday 30th March 2022. For more information, visit here.