6th Mar 2020 - 08:30
Here are some Fun Friday Food Facts to end another busy week.
- People have been making and drinking alcohol for nearly as long as human history. Evidence of fermented drink of rice, honey and fruit was discovered in China, which dates back to 7000-6600 BCE.
- The Swedes are the worst offenders when it comes to food waste, binning 200kg a person every year. The UK figure is 74.7kg a head.
- Forty million people around the world consume food produced in New Zealand.
- The world’s most stolen food is cheese; around 4% of all cheese in the world is stolen. Other foods often taken are fresh meat, chocolate, alcohol, seafood and baby formula.
- Food Wars (Shojugeki no Soma), a Japanese manga comic story set in an elite culinary institute that included recipes in each issue, ran from 2012 to 2019 and sold 14m copies.
- Lobsters and oysters used to be ‘working class’ food, which would be fed to animals, prisoners and indentured servants.