22nd Apr 2022 - 06:00
After taking a break last week due to the bank holiday, Fun Friday Food Facts returns to celebrate St George’s Day (23 April) with some quintessentially English food facts.
- The dessert Eton Mess was first served at Eton College in the late 19th century at school cricket matches.
- According to research the celebrity that people in England would most like to have breakfast with is television presenter Holly Willoughby.
- The British in India had the idea of taking the cooling cucumber and putting it between bread to create the iconic afternoon tea item the cucumber sandwich.
- English cuisine may not be universally admired, but the names of its dishes such as Toad in the Hole, Stargazy Pie and Bubble & Squeak certainly intrigue.
- The core ingredients of a Full English Breakfast are generally agreed as: bacon, fried egg, sausage, mushrooms, baked beans, toast and grilled tomatoes.
- The UK Tea & Infusions Association (UKTIA) says 84% of the UK population drinks tea every day.
- Fish & chips were traditionally served wrapped in old newspaper until the 1980s, when hygiene concerns outlawed the practice.