14th Aug 2020 - 06:00
Here is a collection of our favourite food facts from around the European continent.
- Sweden has almost 2,000 miles of coastline meaning fresh fish is available across the country, including pickled herring which is widely eaten.
- Located in Wrocław, the “Piwnica Swidnicka” is the oldest restaurant in Europe, open since 1275 and you can still eat there today.
- In Santerém, a Portuguese town, 55 locals spent six hours cooking the world’s largest omelette using 145,000 eggs.
- There are more than 300 kinds of soup in Turkish cuisine and the basic ingredient is yoghurt.
- The first café in Prague was opened in 1714 at the Golden Snake on Karlova Street.
- In 1997 Germany was producing 26.5% of all the beer production in Europe.