24th Sep 2021 - 09:40
On this edition of Fun Friday Food Facts we explore German beer consumption and sherbet lemon sweets.
- By 2050 the world population is expected to exceed 10 billion people and to feed them all we will require 70% more food and 120% more water.
- Sherbet lemons are described as a ‘muggle sweet’ by Professor Dumbledor in the Harry Potter series.
- The site of the famous Lloyd’s Coffee House in Lombard Street, London, which opened in 1691, is now occupied by a Sainsbury’s supermarket.
- The real term for the ‘head’ on a pint of beer is ‘collar’.
- A study reported that 79% of Germans drink beer on a regular basis (67% of German women and 91% of German men) and the study also found Germans consumed an average of 101 litres of beer per person annually.
- When McDonald’s opened its first restaurant in Moscow in 1991, more than 30,000 people showed up to try their hamburgers!