1st Oct 2021 - 08:20
To celebrate National Coffee Day we have found our favourite coffee related facts.
- Arabica and Robusta coffee beans account for more than 90% of coffee drunk, the rest comes from two much rarer varieties – Liberica and Excelsa.
- The heaviest coffee drinkers in the world currently are the Finns, who consume 12.5kg per person a year of the stuff – up to ten cups a day each!
- There is less caffeine in instant coffee (30mg-90mg) than in regular, brewed coffee (70mg to 140mg).
- Around 40% of the coffee consumed worldwide comes from Brazil, which is twice as much Vietnam which is in second place.
- In 1764 a group of women from London formed a group called WPAC (Women’s Petition Against Coffee) after not being happy with the amount of time their husbands were spending in coffee houses.
- German composer Ludwig van Beethoven was a big fan of coffee and he would count out 60 individual beans to go into his brew.
- It can take up to ten hours for caffeine to be completely removed from your bloodstream.