3rd Dec 2021 - 06:00
Today you will open the third door of your advent calendar and for this edition of Fun Friday Food Facts we explore chocolate.
- The cocoa beans from which chocolate is made only thrive in tropical zones around the Equator, where the climatic conditions are just right.
- The first ever solid chocolate bar was made by J. S. Fry & Sons of England in 1847.
- About 70% of the world's cocoa beans come from four West African countries - Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroon.
- Eighty million chocolate Easter eggs are sold each year, which accounts for 10% of Britain’s annual spending on chocolate.
- Snickers, made by Mars, is the best-selling chocolate bar in the world. It was named after the Mars family's favourite horse.
- The Swiss are the world’s greatest consumers of chocolate, each munching their way through nearly 9kg of the stuff every year.
- Terry’s produce over 350 million chocolate orange segments per year.