10th Dec 2021 - 07:00
As the England cricket team gets off to one of the worst ever starts to an Ashes series, we look down under and take the opportunity to serve up a few Aussie food facts.
- The national cake of Australia is called a Lamington. Named after a former governor-general of Queensland it is a sponge cake dipped in chocolate and coated in desiccated coconut.
- The world’s largest espresso machine is fitted in Australia. It can brew up to 18 cups of coffee at any given time.
- The barramundi, a type of sea bass native to Australia, gets its name from an Aboriginal word meaning ‘large-scaled silver fish’.
- In Australia they call sausages snags and put beetroot in burgers.
- Fans of Aussie rules football have their own matchday meal tradition – the circular, pasty-style, hand-held Four’n Twenty meat pie made with beef and mutton.
- Australians eat 260 million meat pies every year, which is around 12 per person.