8th Sep 2023 - 06:00
To celebrate the start of the 2023 Rugby World Cup we have found some interesting French food facts as they are the host nation for the tournament
- It wasn’t until August 1956, that the Ministry of National Education forbade the serving of alcoholic drinks in schools to children under 14-years-old.
- France produces around one billion tonnes of cheese every year, including around 1,200 different varieties.
- When French King Louis XIV died in 1715, his stomach was reportedly twice the size of that of the average human. His diet included duck, boar, venison, chicken pies as well as turtles.
- People in France consume around 500 million snails every year.
- In 2010 French cuisine was added to UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- French restaurants often have a wide variety of meats on the menu such as rabbit, horse and frogs legs.
- Eating habits are changing though, the average French person eats 10kg of pizza a year, second only to Americans
- And France ranks third in the league table of McDonald's outlets per head of population, behind the US and Japan