28th May 2021 - 06:00
With the British weather set to improve during the Bank Holiday this weekend, we have found some barbecue food facts.
- The oldest commercial barbecue sauce still made – Scott’s Family Barbecue Sauce – was first sold in North Carolina in 1917.
- The prototype of Weber’s iconic kettle barbecue was actually an old shipping buoy cut in two to provide a ‘pit with a lid’.
- In August 2013 45,252 people attended a barbecue in Mexico, which is the largest attendance recorded in history!
- The top four barbecue meats in the UK in order of popularity are: sausages, ribs, chicken and burgers.
- In 2019 there were 137m barbecues in the UK – that’s an average of ten such occasions for every family.
- In Birmingham and parts of London by-laws prohibit the lighting of barbecues in public green spaces.