4th Jun 2021 - 08:29
To celebrate Sausage Roll Day (Saturday 5 June) we have themed the Fun Friday Food Facts around this popular treat.
- At Christmas in 2018 parenting blogger Mark Hoyle, aka LadBaby, reached number one with his single ‘We Built This City (On Sausage Rolls)’, a parody of the 1985 hit song ‘We Built This City (On Rock & Roll)’ by Starship.
- The first commercial vegan sausage roll was not sold by Greggs, which launched them in early 2019, but by the independent bakery Vegan Antics in Gravesend in 2017.
- UK bakery Greggs sells around 2.5 million sausage rolls every week.
- In 2017 US supermarket Trader Joe’s claimed to have developed a brand new twist on the hot dog by wrapping the sausage in flaky pastry and calling it a ‘puff dog’ - in other words a sausage roll!
- In 2005 longest ever sausage roll was created in South Africa and measured over 110 metres!