25th Jun 2021 - 09:18
In this edition of Fun Friday Food Facts find out about the first Indian restaurant in London, what chewing excess gum can do to your body and the difference between UK and the US McDonald’s fries.
- In the UK McDonald’s fries are vegan and cooked separately from other ingredients; in the US, though, they add a ‘beef flavouring’ derived from milk.
- In 2016 over 163 million tonnes of bananas were produced worldwide with India leading the way with 32 million tonnes.
- A recent study concluded that excessive gum chewing was linked to chronic migraines in young children and teens because of the stress placed on facial muscles.
- The first purely Indian restaurant was the Hindoostanee Coffee House, which opened in 1810 near Portman Square in London’s Mayfair area.
- Shellac, which is used to coat food and as a varnish for wood, is made from a resin excreted by the female lac beetle.