The provision of plant-based meals continues to grow across the UK and in the public sector in particular. This is driven both by demand from the ‘customer’ and by the Government’s environmental and obesity agendas which support a more plant-based diet.
The cost of living crisis is adding to the need for more plant-based options on the menu as public sector caterers look for meat replacement products to save on cost. In a recent PSC survey (February 2023):
- 69% of respondents said they had reduced or were considering reducing the amount of meat on their menu
- 32% were now using meat replacement products instead of meat and a further 16% were considering it
This is not having a negative impact on customer perception with 63.5% of Brits choosing to buy vegan products in 2021 and many more eating vegetarian meals.
Plant-Based Week has been a focus for public sector caterers wanting to understand more about the benefits of plant-based food on the menu and the variety of options open to them for the last three years. It also gives them tools to share that information with their customers.
For 2023 we have a new look to Public Sector Catering's Plant-Based Week. We will continue to share toolkits for caterers to promote the week and share information with their customers, and we will also share recipe inspiration from our business partners and look at new products available to support caterers in serving better plant-based solutions.
The theme this year is ‘Be a Plant-Based Food Hero’. Each day will have a different focus, looking at the benefits of a plant-based diet, at the people who provide amazing menus, and at how using plant-based dishes can save caterers money.
The daily themes and content are:
- Monday – Impact on the planet, how becoming a plant-based hero can help the environment
- Tuesday – Cost-saving benefits, how becoming a plant-based hero can save money
- Wednesday – We will be joined by key advocates of plant-based food, for the Plant-Based Heroes webinar to discuss its benefits and how to serve up the best solutions. REGISTER FREE
- Thursday – Hero products, the supplier heroes
- Friday – Plant-Based Hero day
The plan for the week includes:
- Promotion from March to June 2023 across Public Sector Catering's media portfolio
- A call to action for PSC's Plant-Based Day, encouraging all public sector caterers to set aside one day in the week to serve only plant-based food
- A downloadable toolkit of literature explaining benefits of a more plant-based diet
- Special issue of Public Sector Catering magazine
- Dedicated area on PSC Website and daily newsletter takeover for week
- Webinar discussing the future of plant-based food in public sector catering
- Video recipe content from business partners
- Best new plant-based products
- Awards for our industry Plant-Based Heroes. Nominate your 'Plant-Based Hero (or heroes) online.
If you are a supplier and wish to find out more about how you can become a Plant-Based Week Partner click here.
Plant-Based Heroes - Register Free
A series of plant-based food demonstrations to celebrate Plant-Based Week 2023
A collection of recipes and ideas for plant-based menu options.
A selection of case studies outlining the benefits of a more plant-based diet and how this can be simply achieved.
Discover the range of plant-based products that have been tested and reviewed by the Craft Guild of Chefs for Plant-Based Week
A series of interviews with operators on the plant-based diet options they have on their menus
A collection of posters, stickers and menu templates to promote your Plant-Based Week activities.
Report | Serving better: better menus make better choices
Discover more information and resources on the benefits of plant-based diets on your health and the environment and the practical steps you can take to a more plant-based diet.